The reconstruction of the Bandstand at The Promenade, Aberystwyth, is a challenging project due to the structure location being exposed to a hostile environment, immediately adjacent to the sea and considering the age of the 70 year old building.
An approved testing house/chartered engineer carry out an independent survey with the results evaluated and checked against the final specification prior to the tender being let. The survey confirmed the reinforced concrete construction spalling of defective concrete resulting from carbonation of the concrete and possible moisture penetration.
"The job is a challenging project due to the structure
location being exposed to a hostile environment.“
Removal of concrete by mechanical means, high pressure washing with clean water or grit blasting, avoiding entrapment of air, involved cleaning to remove any dust, unsound material, plaster all by blowing with oil-free clean compressed air, oil, paint, grease, corrosion deposits and organic growth taking extra care that no reinforcing steel or other embedded items such as conduits or lifting sockets are loosened, damaged or removed.
Work carried out:
- Concrete repair and replacement where required
- Mechanically cleaned of corrosion products by abrasive blasting
- Exposed steel bars and pressure wash with clean water to ensure the removal of all residual contamination
- Reinforcement steel bars preparation with primer
- Protective cementitious coating and levelling mortar applied
- Repair mortar for areas of spalled concrete on parapet panels can also be used to repair damaged lighting columns
- Pointing mortar for sealing the gaps between precast panels
Betonbauen working alongside Cyngor Sir Ceredigion County Council and Consultants - Ceredigion County Council Municipal and Environmental Services